START screening everyone at 50 years old (unless family Hx of colon cancer Dx before 60 years old)
- No Family Hx of colon cancer Dx pre-60ys: Repeat every 10 years if first was normal
- Repeat every 3-5 years if polyp found on last screen.
Positive family Hx of colon cancer Dx prior to 60 years old:
- Begin screening 10 years before relative was diagnosed with colon cancer OR at the age of 40*** (whichever is earliest!)
- Repeat screening every 5 years.
Pt diagnosed with colon cancer in the past:
- Repeat colonoscopy every 1 year.
- Order screening Chest X-ray to look for metastasis to the lungs.
Pt with UC: (increases risk of colon cancer)
- Annual colonoscopy recommended starting 8-10 years after diagnosis with UC.
STOP screening at 75 years old.
- If patient has a history of colon cancer though, continue screening beyond 75 years old.
Prior to Colonoscopy:
- Need to hold Plavix/Coumadin/Effient/Xarelto/Eliquis/Pradaxa for 5 days prior to Colonoscopy.
- The patient is to restart taking Plavix following her Colonoscopy per the recommendation of GI.