Hypernatremia: Sx = neuro changes
***Calculate free water deficit: ((Na – 140)/140) X TBW = L water behind/down from normal.
TBW = Total Body Water
- Female: TBW = 0.5 X weight (kg).
- Male: TBW = 0.6 X weight (kg).
Tx: Start D5W = free water (or can give ½ NS). Correct free water deficit over 48-72 ho.
Consider if cause may be diabetes insipidus:
- Central: No production of ADH from brain.
- Tx: Give Desmopressin (synthetic Vasopressin = ADH).
- Peripheral: Kidneys are nonresponsive to ADH produced in the body.